View Single Post
Old 4th August 2022, 10:36 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is always interesting when a sword is posted without any information, thoughts or observations by the individual posting it. Just photos of a 'sword' or as in this case Spanish rapier /broadsword? are puzzling. I have a hard time imagining acquiring a weapon without any information beyond a cursory note.

Dont get me wrong, I am grateful for the weapons posted, but appreciate at least some notes or observations accompanying the piece, and whatever information the owner has, dimensions, markings, provenance if possible, and any research however minimal that has been made.

This is a very nice cup hilt in style. Most of these of course date in the 1640-70 period with obvious variations outside that general period. As Fernando well notes, there would be markings on the blade, especially on a rapier..which is what this is, having nothing to do with broadswords.

Spanish rapiers however typically have oblate pommels, this with tall capstan looks English. The writhen work on quillons and knuckle guard are consistent with many of these hilts into 1660s, but vary widely, while the style of the terminals looks like on Spanish examples.

The cup is most unusual with this pierced band around the upper part, it seems in most cases the cup is typically either fully pierced, or engraved or solid, and there would be a rompepuntas (folded over rim). The arms inside the cup are also unusual being voluted, and I cannot see a guardopolvo.

With this kind of wire wrap on the grip, in style, there should be Turks heads.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 4th August 2022 at 10:54 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote