View Single Post
Old 7th January 2011, 04:41 PM   #18
tom hyle

worth mentioning in regard to kris is that Indonesians have some traditional forms of holders. Often for a single kris this is a statue/idol that holds the sheathed sword in its hand. For multiple kris they tend to have a lower board the scabbard tips sit on and an upper board with holes thru it. (I use a very similar vintage test-tube rack for my collection of table knives) Always kris are stored point down.
I usually keep my pieces in their sheaths; bad things tend more to happen to the sheaths when they are seperated. There has been some mention of keeping sheaths in a drawer below the display. I once hung some swords on a wide board, and all thier sheaths in a pair of loose "shocks" (like corn) from the edges of the board. Currently I store my daggers and shorter swords in drawers, having been sensitized to burglary by being burgled in July (many old swords handled and examined, only a newer espading and a Pacific Cutlery tanto actually stolen, and they were laying on my bed; foolishness is good in the enemy.)
Traditionally storing arms on the wall is not just a way to display them, but a way to keep them available.
Just whatever you do, please, please, please don't drill holes thru the blades and attach them with screws
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote