View Single Post
Old 15th February 2012, 10:09 AM   #31
sirupate

Hi Bill,
I am surprised that kukri manufacture would have been considered in England in WW2 (although for a while it was thought that the M43 might have been made in England), especially with the already high production levels required for the War for the established manufacturers, and of course the cost of kukri production in India was fare less, by the hundreds of workshops out there.

Post Partition, 2nd GR, 6th GR, 7th GR and 10th GR, remained with England, and where the British Gurkhas, the rest retained in India were the Indian Gorkhas. So post partition the term Gurkha was used to refer to the British Gurkha Regiments only. The term 'Gurkha' was first used by Major General Sir David Ochterlony in 1815, the father of the Gurkhas. The term Gurkha/Goorkha etc, was an abbreviation of the Nepalese Goorkhali.

Traditionally in the Gurkhas, the British Officers had the kukri or the khunda made that were used for the festival of Dasain (Nepalese), by the kami of the regiment, they wouldn't buy them from someone like Windlass.
I can't say what the post War Indian Gorkhas did or didn't do. I do know from interviewing Officers of the Gurkhas in the Indian Army, they were quite often still having their own kukri made (ref an interview in 2008).
Below Captain McCalla's kukri (both made by the regimental armourer/kami; the top one was his fighting kukri he used in Burma during WW2, the bottom one was made for the Dasain festival, and used by the Regiment;
Below another one given to me, also WW2 armourer made, which was beautifully balanced, above it for size comparison is an 8th GR kukri WW2;

All the best Simon
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote