Thread: Hudiedao?
View Single Post
Old 25th August 2011, 05:17 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Chinese knives

Hi Dave,

I wanted to write more on these earlier but the link of mine you provided was when these were currently on sale, now sold I can write a little more.

The form is certainly rarer than the guarded type and it is nice to see yours with a sheath too. Personally I like the guardless form because you can use them as both lethal and non-lethal weapons, being that they are easily turned in the hand and the spine can be used in the manner of an iron rod....something that can not be done with guarded varieties.
Don't be alarmed about the different hilt style, of the pairs I have owned, there is a lot of difference in size and weights of these hilts. The same is said for dao, Jian, they all have different methods of construction and materials based I guess on the makers market or the customers request.

The other interesting aspect the cut of the blade. By the cut I mean the profile. With a chopping motion, the narrow base and wide weighted body adds a certain dynamics and extra force to any blow delivered.

Enjoy them.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote