View Single Post
Old 31st March 2020, 01:41 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is really amazing!!
I have no idea what firm this was, but by its name it sounds almost like a company dealing with perhaps former props and materials from movie studios. I know that in California in the late 70s I knew guys who were able to get some remarkable weapons from studio prop warehouses selling off very old items from the golden age of Hollywood.

In the old classics like "Gunga Din" and so many others, while many items used were props, they used a great deal of actual antique arms, so much so for example that Rudolph Valentino (who us old timers still remember) became an avid collector.
Basil Rathbone was an actual fencing master, and many stars and movie persons would embellish their Hollywood mansions with these kinds of exotica they had seen used in these movies.

While Shirley Temple was somewhat inactive in movies in 1963, possibly she was recalling those early times by acquiring such exotic items she had seen in those years.

Charles Addams, the cartoonist who created the macabre images that became the iconic TV series and movies, collected antique arms and armor.

Fascinating acquisition, and totally unique!!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote