View Single Post
Old 12th January 2017, 05:58 PM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Fernando, and actually I very much agree, my deductions were admittedly tenuous. Worse, I wrote after long hours of compiling research and did not elaborate on another important factor. The IB that was in horizontal next to the crown was actually a JB, however the J character was weakly representative and lacked prominent 'tail'.
That aside, I was relying on the early convention in written language of the times which typically used I for J. However while I know this applied in England, I am not sure how used in Europe.
In any case, another example of this makers mark uses a more distinct J.

Your observations are complete in noting the rapier in Wallace is a quite different blade, and as it was noted much earlier than the period I was suggesting as well as this being more of an arming blade, I thought that was in account to be a later blade.

It is well known of course that makers marks and the application of them was always in flux, even within given and recorded shops. As stamps wore down, the strike was often compromised as certain elements became degenerated. Given that these compendiums of markings are virtually always comprised of line drawings and sketches, the degree of variance becomes of even more concern.

A further instance is that even in specific shops, over time the marks recorded with guilds or otherwise accounted for, were subject to both alteration and change. It seems possible that such variations due to unknown reasons may have escaped the record keepers, but even more likely, such changes may have been intentional and covert.
Given the known practice of purloining of marks, it is possible that the maker may have deliberately altered or 'adjusted' their stamp, if their mark was compromised in such a way. The 'chop' of the tail on the J might have been such a case.
As noted, this example on Normans sword has a clear B, but might the I be less formative?
The alteration of configuration is also a notable consideration in addition to the triple application.

It is always good to examine these cases forensically, and a great exercise on deductive reasoning. The mysteries of markings have been my obsession for so many years, yet still so far from conclusions. Thank you for your well observed notes Fernando, and though a bit of a stumble...the game is still well afoot!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote