View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:48 AM   #23
Ron Anderson

Thanks for that informed outline, Alan.

I do not claim to believe this is from Lombok, but was just commenting on the possibility, from my limited experience, and trying to establish the truth through dialogue. I am aware horn is used throughout Indonesia, so of course this does not indicate it is from Lombok per se. It is as you say, probably from Sumatra, for reasons you've outlined.

On a bit of a side point, Lombok may be a deprived backwater, nonetheless I have seen many items with a great deal of craftsmanship attributed to Lombok Island. However, not so much in the area of blade manufacture, as the blades seem relatively ordinary, but certainly in terms of the carving that comes from there, which is very distinctive, and rather different from most of the other islands, perhaps precisely because of the diversity of influences that you've mentioned.

In a sense you are right - Lombok is a bit of a backwater. Culturally, it is quite atavistic. The themes in their art are primitive, with a lot of animist influence. So it being a backwater is precisely why it is of interest. Their artefacts, other than these klewangs, also have their own particular flavour and feeling, which appeals to me anyway.

I will open a thread posting my Lombok horn hilts soon, for those who may be interested.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote