Thread: Miquelet gun
View Single Post
Old 5th April 2013, 06:32 PM   #28
shinyblades

Smile Nicholas bis / Isidro soler

Hello. Yes the trigger guard by soler seems unusual but Lavin states soler was appointed honary gunsmith to carlos 111 in 1776 and chose to care for the personal arms of Carlos 1V in 1797 , he also regained a royal position to fernando V11 caring for the kings arms and repairing guns , I would assume soler either restocked / refurbished the gun or replaced a missing trigger guard or the punzon itself to mark his work on the already old gun by bis . On another note I just received a copy of catalogo de arcabuceria madrilena ( 1687- 1833 ) real armeria de Madrid
Alvaro soler del campo , I cannot read a word but the photos are fantastic , lockplates , frizzens , barrels, stocks , and with 400 pages and 1 1/2" thick it is a real treat , get a copy you will love it , I got mine including postage to Belfast for £30 , unfortunately a lot of the guns stocks are in a very poor stripped down condition apparently due to an over enthusiastic well meaning use of caustic solution on the stocks . Regards all. Shinyblades

Last edited by shinyblades; 5th April 2013 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Missing word
shinyblades is offline   Reply With Quote