View Single Post
Old 6th July 2022, 03:23 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by midelburgo View Post
... In XVIIth century Spanish language, the half rings of the pas d'ane are called "orejas" (ears)...
I would not know whether such fixation extensions have a name in Portuguese swords lexicon. A.V.B. Norman simply calls them 'arms'. But i see more than one Spanish sources calling those 'patillas' (de sujeción) ...
"La espada del Museo Naval de Madrid es un acero de "cazoleta, atribuida por sus descendientes a Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés. Hoja estrecha de dos filos, gavilanes rectos. De la cruz sale uno que forma el guardamanos y unas patillas que sujetan la cazoleta".

Quote:
I like to classify cup hilts as full ears, half ears and no ears. I believe than rather than to nationality, this is a question of evolution in time and purchasing power.
So closer to 1650, we have mostly full ears, closer to 1680, we have many half ears. And closer to 1700 and beyond we get often no ears...
As i previously noted, i had signs that Portuguese favoured 'more' the welding system. One thing i know is that certain authors, not willing to be compromised with risking to determine whether a (cup hilt) sword is Portuguese or Spanish, simply call them ... Iberian. Having a Portuguese inscription may not be enough to define their origin; i have a cup hilt rapier that i bought from a well known Spanish dealer, with the typical VIVA EL REY DE PORTVGAL and his firm opinion, this sword is Spanish. It is so possible that, due to the two countries proximity, you could order a sword from Spain and later have its blade engraved in Portugal.

Quote:
For example, as a military weapon, fewer no ears have a thin rapier blade...
As also military swords are 'hardly' of the 'rapier' type .

Quote:
... of the types usually found is a flambergue...
Flamberge, undulated, waved, whatever the name; again i would not know where this fashion apeared in a larger number. But we may be sure that there were designs and processing techniques for all tastes.

Quote:
... About how this blade works, IIRC Richard Burton has a chapter on it in his book on Swords...
Ah, how i would love to read that part; but i don't have Burton's work.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote