View Single Post
Old 21st March 2005, 06:58 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Aurangzeb,
Outstanding find! What you have there certainly does appear to be a dagger from the 'Mahdiyya' (1881-1898) in the Sudan. I should point out though that I don't think in this particular instance the Mahdi was ever termed 'mad'
I think the term considered was possibly from that used to describe the 'Mad Mullah of Somaliland' Sheikh Sayyid Muhammed c.1903, in events very similar to the the Mahdist revolt and British entanglement in Egyptian affairs. At this time of high Imperial attitudes though,the term may have been applied in singular instance, as it was often used to describe the religiously based and intense opposition of any individual to British rule.

The British writers of the period tended to interpolate many narratives of colonial events with slang and terminology often derisively toward the 'savages' . For example the term 'dervishes' was typically used to describe the native warriors, and was actually a term which came from more common use in India (Pers. darvish=religious mendicant), used colloquially by the British military from the Raj there. It should be noted that the Turkish derivation of the word, and certainly found in Egypt, meant loosely beggar. Although the term dervish was once applied to themselves, the Mahdi opposed its use and applied the term 'ansar' (from the Koran =helper). He actually installed strict punishment for those who insisted on the use of the formerly applied 'dervish'. The term 'fuzzy-wuzzy' was directed to the much feared Hadendowa tribal swordsmen.
While these slang terms were used often colloquially and in some perspective, derisively for the many groups of Mahdist forces, the poems by Kipling reflect the general consensus of British forces,that native warriors were actually not only feared but highly respected for thier courage in battle.

This dagger is very similar to an example associated with weapons from Dongola province in northern Sudan, near the 3rd cataract, and interestingly is the region that the Mahdi himself, Mohammed Ahmed ibn el-Sayyed Abdullah , was born. The simple elongated hilt form is similar to the broad hilt 'jambia' daggers of Mughal India (Pant. p.161, fig.464) and it is interesting to note that other Indian weapon forms also appeared in the Sudan in this period, and were accordingly decorated with 'thuluth' motif.

As has been noted , this is clearly not the typical arm dagger often worn by Hadendowa and other tribal warriors, so actually has little to do with 'fuzzy wuzzies but seems actually to belong to tribal groups farther north.

I very much like the way you have displayed the dagger with associated Sudanese coinage and currency, extremely impressive and really enhances the historic nuances of the piece. Actually this recalls the many times we have relied on nusimatic evidence in the identification of many ethnographic weapons. Nicely done!

Best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 21st March 2005 at 11:36 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote