View Single Post
Old 25th February 2017, 03:10 PM   #39
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi Miguel:

Yes, that sword is one of the more recently made ones, although I have seen worse examples.

When I was starting to collect (many years ago) I was given a Burmese "story dha" that was probably made around 1950. I still have it somewhere. It is covered in yellow brass that was once cleaned by a previous owner with Brasso, a commercial polish that is renowned for leaving a heavy, white powdery residue. Fortunately, the sword itself was of very low quality so the residue did not detract from it.

I have one of the poor quality Lao swords with segmented scabbard also. That came as an add in with another sword that I wanted. It has a terrible blade made from sheet metal, and the hilt and scabbard are also made from a silvery base metal.

One day I will give these to someone I really don't like very much! In the meanwhile they sit in storage. Perhaps I will get them out and post them here to show what not to acquire.

Ian.
Thanks Ian you have confirmed my thoughts. I have always thought that the repoussé work was not that good and this thread has more than confirmed it, thanks also for showing your poor quality swords.
Would you put the age of these swords including mine to the 1950s approx. Thanks again Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote