View Single Post
Old 21st August 2009, 07:34 AM   #23
wilked aka Khun Deng

Glad you brought it back up also as I missed it. The blade originally in question is as migeldiaz noted a modern pira. Common in markets and throughout the Sulu archipelago now days. I actually have one with a horse hoof handle that was throw in the trash at our camp (a rescue operation for me). They run about 400 pesos or $8 at the market and surprisingly enough, most having been made from blanks, all I saw were heat-treated. BTW the ASG is concentrated in Jolo and Basilan (islands in the Sulu archipelago) for location reference.

Yes most soldiers of every persuasion carry a knife and the modern pira is quite capable. Heat treated and sharp enough for small work, great for whacking down the needed branches for a quick lean-to or clearing an overgrown trail and still heavy enough to split open a coconut, yet deadly in close combat (though most engagements are at sight distance 100m or less in the canopy - Tausugs are notoriously bad shots).

We've already discussed the .45 cal in previous posts as the status symbol der jur for most in Southern Mindanao, shooting clubs abound and if you are anybody you belong to one and compete regularly. Lady Ann, the Vice Governor of Jolo and owner of one of the most impressive tricked out .45s I've seen is quite the shot. Extended mags are a must!

As for Pandys, they still exist in Jolo but most of their work is relegated to mass quantity stuff, though I did meet one in Indanan who said he still does the traditional stuff and does the occasional repair of a family heirloom.

I had a scabbard made for an old barong I picked up there and while solid the craftsmanship wasn't the same quality as the others I have- the repair of the silver work however was top notch - single instance perhaps.

While in Central Mindanao while I asked around continually (Cotobato and Maguindanao) I couldn't find a single pandy or any old pieces that anyone would show much less offer for sale -disappointing.
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote