Thread: A Forum Project
View Single Post
Old 27th October 2016, 03:31 AM   #2
JamesKelly

In my experience it is best to deal with a foundry that regularly casts cannon something near to what you want. If you wish it to be 90% copper 10% tin bronze, then by all means deal with a foundry that likes to cast this stuff. Otherwise you will indeed pay for their learning curve.

It is important that you deal with a foundry that already makes cannon, and specifically cannon which are meant to be fired.

Replica bronze cannon are made in the USA. One may purchase a nice gun at the Mansfield, Ohio Civil War show in the Spring, I believe first weekend in April.

Runs in my mind there is a cannon maker somewhere in Indiana.

Look on the internet, one that claims to be great is Steen Canon & Ordnance Works. I have absolutely no personal knowledge of them.

I am inclined to believe that there are many more foundries that cast something in the shape of a cannon, than those that cast strong, reliable cannon.

If you make it, someone will want to shoot it. Be kind to his life & limb and use an experienced cannon foundry.

There is a nice new bronze cannon at Colonial Michilimackanac, presumably made somewhere in Pennsylvania.

I do have over a half-century experience as a metallurgist, working with a range of materials. If I come across as slightly cynical, I can provide you with both horror stories and successes.
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote