Thread: Valuable sticks
View Single Post
Old 20th April 2006, 06:46 PM   #19
katana

QUOTE :
I will not indict the Dealer/Collector as he advances his collection by selling and acquiring ; IMO most "Dealers" do not get rich . There are many more efficient ways to accumulate wealth than selling antique arms .
Rick

In general I totally agree, but there is a very small number of unscrupulous dealers of Antiquities that are actively involved in under-hand methods to procure their items. Bribery, site/grave robbing is not uncommon. Apparently, the information provided in several documentaries (last year) support this. South America was the main example. Various newly discovered sites were 'looted' before archaeologists had any chance of excavating. It seems that the 'stolen' items are 'supplied' cheaply and then 'sold on'. The items, because they are illegally obtained, cannot be publicly displayed and have no provenance and yet they are still purchased by unethical collectors, whom are totally aware of the article's illegality. In this particular case we are talking objects often made of solid gold, jade etc.
This causes two major problems, 1 the sites are often 'vandalised' to remove the articles, causing a loss of data for the archaeologist. And 2. The loss of these items,which would allow further insight into the history and culture of these ancient civilisations.

QUOTE:

I also believe the Collector can be instrumental in keeping interest in these artifacts alive providing he is willing to share and he maintains his collection unlike many museums that are constrained by a budget .
Rick.

I couldn't agree more
katana is offline   Reply With Quote