View Single Post
Old 29th March 2005, 04:56 PM   #11
Conogre

That's a very interesting piece, the type that's fun to explore possibilities on and that occasionally turns out to be FAR more valuable than previously supposed.
You, of course, have the advantage in being able to see and handle it directly, but don't give up as I've had several that have taken years to make a determination on and some that are still unsolved.
I don't get the impression of a trench art piece here at all, and likewise it doesn't appear to be of tribal origin, with my suspicion being that you may have an African colonial knife from the Boer Wars or similar.
The hilting is definitely European in style, while the sheath appears to have been native stitched as is sometimes seen on overseer's knives, with the belt loop also of European style.
The pommel is somewhat curious as that has a N. African flavor to it with the brass plates riveted over the wood, although this is by no means restricted to just that region.
I think you've got an altogether original and unique piece there that was very carefully made by someone with a lot of time on their hands and careful attention to detail and possibly native assistance.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote