Thread: New keris
View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2005, 11:58 AM   #45
Boedhi Adhitya

Yes, Pak Marto, it seems we both reading the same pages.

I agree with you, in the end, pusaka is a very subjective matters. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer. And "pusaka" term may applied to anything which has a very special values to the owner, no matter how high or low the qualities are.

Honestly, I didn't post the pictures to make a point. In fact, I prepared it long before. I just feel "unpolite/guilty" to the forum, while I insisted on the importance of studying the good examples, I've never post any of them

Since the royal courts were the center of art and cultures of Javanese peoples in the ancient time (and still today, in a lesser extent), any serious keris collectors should understand "the unspokken/unwritten standards" set by the royal courts, but not necessarily follow it. Without understanding the standards, it's very likely that we might became very confused, because there are too many blades (especially here in Java), too many myths and legends, and too many "knowledges" to follow.

It is also our responsibilities (I think) to recognize the masterpieces left by the Master Empus, and do the reservations as much as we could.

S. Lumintu, one of the Jogja's keris experts, once said, to properly studying kerises, ones should do at least three things :
1. Studying the kerises itself by handling its personally.
2. Read the good books about kerises.
3. Discuss your knowledges with others.

This forum certainly serves as a good discussion forum

Pak John,
Once again, I'm deeply sorry for the pictures. I took it with a Nokia handphone. Until I find a good affordable digital camera, just prepare to see this "eye-poking" pictures. These are ones of them

This is a very rare dhapur, with elephant head wearing a crown as it's gandhik. I've only seen one and other piece reported to be exist in Jogjakarta Court, named "Kyai Gajahendra".
This blade has a "minimalistic style" beras wutah pamor. The luks seem too "deep" for Tangguh Mataram, but the iron, pamor and all the works tend to be Mataram, ca. 17 c. The lower left sides (wadidang / tungkakan) shows heavy worn out (about 3-5mm) caused by repeated etching in lime juices for years.
Dhapur : Naga liman (=liman=gajah=elephant), 7 luks
Pamor : Beras wutah
Tangguh : Mataram, ca 17 c.

"Naga" not necessarily connected to the naga serpent, in dhapur term. There are Naga Kikik and Naga Keras, other then Naga Liman, which carry the Naga name, but without the naga serpent at all.
Attached Images

Last edited by Boedhi Adhitya; 2nd August 2005 at 12:13 PM.
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote