View Single Post
Old 6th October 2009, 10:56 PM   #47
Gustav

Alan, many thanks for the transkription, with some very interesting material.

Some most primitive information about history of Sumbawa.

In fact, Sumbawa is actually two islands. Locals refer only to the western half as Sumbawa, the east is Bima. There was a mutual ignorance between those islands, the first marriage between the royal houses have take place in year 1929.
Sumbawa Besar has been influenced by Lombok, with a language reminiscent of Sasak people (Lombok), whilst language of Bima is more akin to that spoken in Flores.

In the golden time of Gelgel kingdom of Bali, in the mid of 16 century, Lombok, West Sumbawa (and Blambangan in East Jawa) are said to have come under Gelgel's suzerainity (There are Portuguese and Dutch sources about this period). The Gelgel kingdom was treatened by the sea oriented Makassar kingdom in c. 1619, which deprived it of its interests in Sumbawa and parts of Lombok.

But there are treatements between VOC and Sumbawa (probably kingdoms of the Western part), the first from 1674.

For me a very interesting part from the gloss is that one about the hilt forms. There must be a plenty of figural hilt forms, which is not much expected in a islamic territory. Is this a stronger Bali/Lombok influence as thoght?

I will post two pictures: of the royal Keris of Bima from 1634 (also islamic period), with the description given in "Court arts of Indonesia", and a famous Keris, which is in dutch posession from middle 18 century. Van Zonneveld attributes it to Makassar, pre-islamic period (probably becouse of the figural hilt). He writes: "it seems probable that this Keris had not been made recently (18 cent.) and had come into the posession of VOC in connection with the upheavals in Makassar in 1666-1669."

Both hilts are depicting Bima. The blade of the Makassar(?) Keris looks strong Bali influenced to me.

Now the description for the Keris from Bima:

State Kris, Tatarapa Sangajikai or Samparaja.

The precise date of this pusaka kris, one of the three objects essential for the legitimization of the Sultans of Bima is contained in the cryptic symbols of a chronogram (candra sangkala). The influence of South Sulawesi, which had a hegemony over Bima and Sumbawa, is apparent in the syle of wrangka with its squared gayaman top, flaring flattened bottom, its diagonal motif and its braided gold hanging loops. The influence of Bali, which dominated the nearby island of Lombok, is also apparent in the anthropomorfic grip representing a Bima figure. This image invokes the protection of the wayang warrior prince who in Bimanese legend was the founder of the kingdom. The blades of Bimanese krises were made in Java and taken to South Sulawesi, where the the tangs were cut short to enable them to fit into Sulawesi grips that turn out at a much sharper angle than those made in Java (to this I have a question how old the kerdas form is). Although this sheath is of Sulawesian style it might have been made in Bima since it shows signs of the Balinese craftsmanship that influenced Bimanese smiths (!). The red staining is characteristic of Bima, but it can also be found on Sumatran and Sulawesian objects.

I have some problems to attach the scanned pictures. Will follow later.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote