Thread: Long yatagan
View Single Post
Old 18th February 2016, 10:43 AM   #44
Sancar

estrch, there are many mixtures of truth and misinformation, and tons of orientalist bias in those quotes you post (even that "Zeibek, the name of a Turkish tribe in the region of Smyrna" quote make me want to choke myself to death, to be honest). I can try to explain and correct them one by one.There is a great deal of historical and socio-cultural context to this subject that can help to correct some misconceptions, and I can try to write for hours to try to give a brief summary of it, but I won't.

Because it feels really really really frustrating to try to explain something that is such a common knowledge, to a foreigner. And whatever I'll do, I feel it will turn personal and unpleasent. Because I feel like I'm trying to prove the sky is blue or water is wet, and even though you have every right to ask for sources, I feel no answer will satisfy you and even though if I can dig up some sources that are half-correct and non-biased, I can't just explain the whole socio-cultural and historical context to you without writing a whole book about it. There is just soo much confusion, misconception and bias already I wouldn't even know where to start even if I wanted to.

And that is exactly why I always have a tendency to refrain from commenting to threads that involve my own culture. It feels like I'm giving directions to my home and you're asking for proof.

So, why don't you feel free to disbelieve the information that I wrote and we just agree to disagree? Let's just say I'm just b.s.ing from the top of my head and let's not further this discussion in any way. If you agree let's move on and don't even feel the need to answer this post.
Sancar is offline   Reply With Quote