View Single Post
Old 4th January 2020, 04:12 AM   #5
vilhelmsson

Dear Lee,

I had thought it might be in error. E.g., maybe the shipper neglected to include proper attestations as to the age of the artifact.

DHL kindly challenged the duty on my behalf. Actually a quick and easy process, and an option if anybody wants to challenge a duty. But CBP's policy is that if the object's origin was within the modern geographic bounds of China, even if it was manufactured 2,000 years ago, then it is subject to the duty!

I understand the reason: one could just circumvent the tariffs by shipping from China to an intermediary country. But I'm not sure what punitive or protectionist purpose a tariff on antiques serves? Maybe it puts a dent in the import of "antique" Chinese swords ordered on Alibaba or Taobao?

The article below provides some interesting commentary. A lobbying group representing museums and dealers tried to argue that, if anything, tariffs on antiques help China because they stifle the US art market and make it easier for China to repatriate artifacts.
https://news.artnet.com/market/chine...tariff-1625869

Mel H,

I think it's tough. Either to get permission or to find something genuine in mainland China.
vilhelmsson is offline   Reply With Quote