View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2014, 09:23 AM   #21
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Sabah al-khair Ibrahiim,

Thank you very much.
i have seen these threats.
The object is stored elsewhere, I will check your request next week.
My qu
And sestions are : is it an imported blade?hould I use leather or metal wire to cover the hilt?

Best wishes,
Kubur

Salaams Kubur You may see that quite a storm errupts arround the controvertial Omani Dancing Sword. Although you may not be aware of it these swords change hands for reasonably large fees since many (if they are genuine) are held in families as heir looms...and the important ones seldom come up for sale. Library resource contains The Omani Kattara , The Omani Saif(or the Omani Dancing Sword) and Kattara for Comments. All of these have samples of decorative style.

Your Questions ....
1. Is it an imported blade? To help you decide if this is an imported blade I request the blade bend test to measure flexibility.

2. To use wire or leather to cover the hilt. The designs at library references are clear and offer a variety of approaches. I would consider replacing the silver thumb and forefinger position silver ring or cuff...at the forefront of the hilt. This will enhance the look of the sword and return it to a hilt original look...and it will correctly lenghten the hilt by about 2 inches. You have the possibility of using leather as well...and or silver wire. You didn't mention a scabbard? The typical pattern to scabbard and often to hilt are the Omani Swirl patterns ... Quite a lot to consider...

For me the important question revolves around the flexibility test...It looks like an old blade therefor please take the usual precautions for bending such a blade ...which I suggest should be done carefully and about 2 to 5 degrees at a time

If the blade refuses to bend or does not return to straight immediately... stop! Otherwise it may snap...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 22nd June 2014 at 09:36 AM.