View Single Post
Old 6th March 2014, 04:50 PM   #15
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
South-West Georgia, the Gurian region, border with Turkey, thus the mix of elements. Subsequently, this outline was adopted by the Black Sea Cossack Host.

Check the fullers: old ones had the most beautiful "Tiflis" damaskus pattern.

I have a suspicion ( and please reassure me that I am wrong!) that the tip was broken and re-formed. Usually, this type has rounded and stubby tip; this one is somehow awkward: straight lines.Check the length of the blade and the scabbard: I have a feeling that it is an inch or two too short for his breeches :-)

Thanks Ariel, as always, for you input.

I don't think the fullers here are Damascus, but need a magnifier as they are so dark. I have to also assume that 1908 would be "later" for one of these.

I have checked on the blade vs. scabbard length, and can't imagine that the blade could be any longer, especially considering that the wooden inner liner would be even shorter than what we are seeing. The outside measurement puts the blade at just over 1/2in. away from the chape's finial.

The blade may be a bit of an oddball, but I do believe both the scabbard and the blade were born together as is.

Thanks again for your input and comments.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote