View Single Post
Old 4th August 2007, 05:02 AM   #24
ganjawulung

Default Indinesian Keris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
So, wouldnt it posssible that even Jayawarman II had to hire "contractors" say, from India....because most kingdoms in the archipelago in those days were heavily influenced by Hinduism & Buddhism. In saying this, I wanted to believe that keris could have existed even during Shailendra era, but it was depicted wrongly in the temples sculptures....

Penangsang
...Or, this is another speculation. (Once again, speculation). Many rulers in Java were not real Javanese, but mixture: local-indian. (I borrow Rand's term in his blogspot: Indinesian. May I?). And the architect, and the building-workers were local people. Just look, the chandis (temples) were not precisely Indian-look, and also the details of hindhu sculpture. Localised hindhu.

Syailendra, (speculation too, correct me if I'm wrong), was a Champa blood. This was based on old fact: why a Javanese was able to become a great ruler in Malay province in Khmer? Look, the sculpture in Khmer Angkor was different with the sculpture's style in Borobudur, although Jayawarman II (or Jayavarman, whatever) came from Syailendra dynasty who had built Borobudur in the 8th century.

Looking back in Java. (More speculation) Keris with ganja separated from the blade, was local hindhu product. Why hindhu? Compare with the "golden lingga and yoni" in the picture, which is now in Jakarta National Museum in Jakarta. From the Majapahit era. (See picture). And please upside down your keris, the handle part up, and the blade-pin down. The paksi -- iron for the handle -- is the lingga, and ganja with hole (feminine part) is the yoni. Compare again to the separated part of this golden lingga-yoni, which is united as lingga-yoni.

Why local? Hindhu in India has no "keris culture". Thus, keris was a local genius product of "alien" hindhu culture in Java... (Many brahmana, believed came from India too. Just see the "keris empu gandring" story in Pararaton as I told you a couple times ago. Pararaton told us: "Brahmana Lohgawe came from India, riding three "kakatang" leaves.... and so on.")

(Following speculation) The earlier form of "keris" in buddha times, was "betok budo" (without ganja separated, but iras). This is the era of Syailendra dynasty. And the hindhu times? From the Sanjaya dynasty (ancient Mataram, not the Islamic Mataram) was "jalak budo" (I have shown you before, the sample of such dhapur in the earlier post). The hindhu spirited keris had "separated ganja" or say it as "lingga yoni kerises"... Now, you may adapt with your own culture, which is suitable for your own... Please, don't believe me. This is only my personal speculation. (Thanks a lot, Rand, for your "enlightment" of the name in your blogspot)

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote