View Single Post
Old 14th November 2006, 04:02 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Matt,
I'm glad you have spoken to Juan Perez as he is one of the most knowledgable people I know on Spanish swords, so I am glad that he agrees this blade is, like many of the other triple fuller examples, from Solingen.
As Chamberlain notes in his book, many of these blades were hilted in Mexico with three bar iron hilts in the 1820's and 30's. English hilts seem quite likely, although the three bar hilt became popular with a number of countries during those times. Yours does seem English.

Interesting on the PDL, which certainly seems to represent Luneschloss, who furnished edged weapons for Britain, France, Belgium, Holland and the U.S.- "where Luneschloss supplied both sides during the US Civil War of 1861-65"
("Sword and Bayonet Makers of Imperial Germany 1871-1918", John Walter, 1975, p111-114). This reference notes further, "...quantities of etched and engraved weapons were also marketed alongside cutlery and tableware".

While this reference clearly is assigned in scope to the period after the Civil War, the existing history of the makers prior to that time is discussed briefly.
It should be noted that Luneschloss worked closely with London dealers, much as many German makers had for many years, and that England was of course quite active in supplying Confederate forces. Although the obviously Mexican motif seems misplaced on a sword found in Confederate hands, it does seem as I mentioned, not that surprising given the complexities of supply networking during those wartime years. While most of the Luneschloss blades I have seen were stamped, especially the U.S. examples. On an interesting side note, when the U.S.pattern 1840 cavalry sabres were introduced, the earliest examples were actually German made! until Ames took the contract.

I still am inclined to think that the blade may have been decorated in Germany, it would appear by Luneschloss, and the cursive script may have been because it might have been intended in some diplomatic sense? It is really difficult to say, yet we know where it ended up

Do your records show what location in Tennessee the action took place?
I lived in Nashville for nearly ten years and the history was fascinating, though I didnt really get into it as much as I should have then. It seems all the focus was on the Battle of Stones River (Murfreesboro).

Your blade seems to me full profile, so dont think it is cut down, and it is of course forged steel. The hilts were iron or brass.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote