View Single Post
Old 13th November 2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Matt Branch

Default PDL and ricasso

Here are some photos of the PDL and the recasso on my sword.
Re the PDL, I have not found a Luneschloss blade that had the initals ingraved in the blade in cursive, so I've been thinking that they are spurious or the initals of the sword owner. Perhaps you are right about Germany, Juan J. Perez has said he thinks it is a soligen blade but I have not found one that is close or has the tri fullers like mine does so I was looking at Oaxaca as a possability.
In the photos you can see the ricasso on my blade is the same size and shape as the dish hilt hanger, and the fullers are in about the same place, I can't tell how long the fullers are on the hanger so I don't know if that would match.
As I said earlier, I don't know how to tell what the blade is made out of so any info on that would be great.
I saw a short article on Espada Anchas where the autor said that a lot of them were rehilted with 3 bar iron hilts from England around the Mexican -American war, and mine does look lihe cast iron.
My ggg grandfather was in company I 10th Michigan Infantry. He enlisted as a sergent and was made company wagon master Nov. 20 1861 and was promoted to Lieutenant after the afore mentioned skirmish.
Thanks for all you're work Jim and all the info!
Is there a way to tell if my blade has been cut down?
Is there a way to confirm the PDL?
Best Regards
Matt
Attached Images

Matt Branch is offline   Reply With Quote