Thread: Ivory Hulu
View Single Post
Old 9th October 2021, 08:08 PM   #19
Interested Party

Default Questions on Ornamentation in Three Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G. View Post
Ivory to show off and btw, is it Malay or Bugis culture?
1) Would the original example from post #1 be considered a Garuda rather than a Jawa Deman? Or simply a bird? I am assuming that an ancestor is implied. Is the term for this hilt pangulu rekko? Is this a name used in traditional culture or one adopted by collectors? If this is Garuda then is the central panel at the abdomen the amrita vial? In a completely different direction Carpenter in "Heroes, Gods, and Guardians" calls a similar profile, "...based on a stylized, hunched human." Page 132. I am guessing that is a reference to Jawa Demam.

2)Under the chin of the original post (OP) there are feathers. I have attached a similar "feathered" or "petaled" pattern of a wood hilt for clarification. Does this feature have a cultural significance that we know about? I am guessing that in relation to Question 1 this moves us away from Jawa Demam.

3) In post #3 of Mr. Maisey, the top rt. (and the top left of post #4 pictured below in post #21) vegetative phallus has a tumpal throne on the bottom with possibly the tree of life motif contained within. I can not see how many petals the throne has. Above in the next section there are stylized vegetative motifs that I can't interpret. The third set of motifs are lozenge patterns without vegetation. Then above a Kalaesque mask that also resembles a spider or a scorpion. This motif has been discussed in previous posts (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ight=janggelan). Could the lozenges be not just to create a neck for an anthropomorphic figure but also could they be clouds used in separating underworld from the lower worlds for a second "story" that is being told? Is the figure mentioned above a Yaksaha? Is this stylized figure related to the Putrasatu style? Or is sometimes a cigar just a cigar?

Moderators, if question 3 is too off a base I am ok with moving it to another thread which has touched on parts of this subject or in beginning a new one.

Pertaining to the original post's question; I believe in my humble and ignorant opinion Bugis culture dominates this piece owing to the shortness of the base of the hilt and the sharp bend just above the bottom bulge. Jean did you attribute "peculiar decoration with parallel incised lines" p. 95 of " The Fantastic world of the Indonesian Keris Hilts" , the example shown in post #2 as a Sumatran motif? To my understanding Bugis culture is very dispersed in the region and has many places of manufacture including Sumatra?

Thanks to all participants as always for taking the time to show the world all these beautiful examples that completely capture my imagination.
IP
Attached Images

Last edited by Interested Party; 10th October 2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: sloppy post. Clarification of Question 3.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote