View Single Post
Old 27th July 2007, 08:51 AM   #16
kai

Hello Alan,

Quote:
I would caution against putting the blade and hilt into a furnace or oven, and even against putting the blade into a furnace or oven, with the hilt outside the heat.
Yeah, I'd be very hesitant to place any wood or horn (and any material with hairline cracks into an oven...

Using those padded kitchen gloves, you can also protect the hilt from radiating heat which helps to keep the stress (e.g. on hairline cracks) minimal.

Quote:
Line the jaws of a vice with plenty of newspaper and place the blade into the vice sideways.
I prefer to hold the blade in my hand for better control. Gloves do help to avoid getting bitten...

Quote:
As already recommended, reheat and try again if you do not succeed the first time, however, you must be aware of the risk that if the tang is heavily rusted, it is possible to break the tang in attempts to remove it, no matter how gentle those attempts may be.
Thanks for the added caution!

BTW, did you ever experienced a "northern" keris tang breaking? These are usually pretty sturdy (and, of course, shorter). Just curious (Willem's keris won't be a problem IMVHO)...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote