View Single Post
Old 31st January 2019, 06:19 PM   #12
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Thank you Xasterix, special for proving the exact name of the blade profile. The sword is without scabbard 621 gram and tip-weighted, fast and nice in the hand. At my scabbard are missing two brass bands which have been in up and down over the leather throat, you can see it by the different patination. When you wish I can take some new pictures at weekend.
I would try carefully to bring back in original form the guard of the handle. It seems to be made from thin sheet so it will be good possible. By the thin guard and scabbbard style I would date yours to the mid of 20th century, my one around the turn of the centuries. Yours is a very nice good example from this time frame. I have a similar example, maybe a little later as yours and not so nice but sadly can't provide pictures since it isn't in my hands in the moment.

Best regards,
Detlef
Saw the pics; looks like a long-lost brother of my sword! You're right, I need to tweak the guard more. It seems that swords of this type were made to be fast and nice; I'd venture a guess that both our swords are from Iloilo. The Panay Bukidnon tribe would most likely have forged our swords as they are famous for their distinct talibongs which they call in their native dialect as "sabre". Looking at our swords- I agree with that label, as I've yet to encounter another vintage/antique that's as nimble.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote