View Single Post
Old 9th January 2019, 05:57 PM   #11
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
The usual weapon forms are indeed quite large and often heavy. In combat they were often a "mopping up" weapon used to dispatch wounded enemy. They could also be used as "heavy assault" weapons but the weight of some of these would prohibit "dueling" unless the person was extremely strong and skilled. There are lighter combat versions too. The double-edged padsumbalim variant usually has a lighter blade and might serve hand-to-hand combat better.

Panabas were also used for ceremonial and execution purposes, and for administering harsh penalties such as the removal of a hand for convicted thieves, although I think these uses have been somewhat over stated and relate mainly to practices prior to WWII.

Ian.
Hi Ian, hope you won't mind me digging up an old thread. My BangsaMoro friends- to be precise, a Tausug, a Yakan, and a Maguindanaoan- have all disputed the pervasive definition of the panabas as a "mopping up" weapon used to dispatch wounded enemies. Some definitions even go as far as to claim that women and children did this task- a very false claim, because imagine- how would women and children be able to carry such a heavy weapon into the battlefield?

My sources believe- as do I- that the 'battle' panabas was a strictly ceremonial and execution weapon, and not at all brought to the battlefield. From what I've studied of Moro Fighting Arts (MFA) and my handling of a small sample of modern and antique BangsaMoro weapons, there would be no 'mopping up' necessary. The main battle blades- kampilan, barung, kris, pira, etc- are already capable of decapitating or maiming enemies in one strike.

Oh, and nice panabas. I hope to get a modern version one of these days; I heard there are traditional smiths in Maguindanao who are still up to the task. The problem is accessibility, as they are located within a perennial warzone.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote