View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2015, 05:39 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Jens, and very good points!
I am less than well versed in archaeology, but I would imagine that newer or replaced iconography such as stone carving or other would be easily detected by experts. Also, they seem to be able to pretty accurately date these temples and stone work.

This then establishes pretty reliably that this transverse guard feature must have existed as early as 10th century!!!
So this very rudimentary form of a handled blade, presumably for slashing, must have been around in sort of a latent form in minimal degree until its more developed forms in the 16th century.

As always when studying development of weapon forms, there seem to be many cases where there are huge gaps in the linear chronology of the presumed evolution. In this case it is quite simple yet unique, as the transverse grip seems unusual for edged weapons.

Perhaps it is tempting to consider that perhaps this type handle could have evolved from those on shields used in parrying, such as the madu type weapon? Then we would have to consider just how far back that particular form goes.....we know that a number of Indian daggers evolved from animal horns, such as the bichwa and madu madu.

That 'V' base you mention, it seems once you had noted either that or another 'base' feature as distinctive in some degree regionally, possibly Deccan? While I know we are focused on the development of the katar as a form, I cannot resist curiosity on those kinds of features.
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote