Thread: Beautiful sword
View Single Post
Old 8th June 2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This sword is indeed very attractive, and a rendition of the traditional Ottoman, East European style known as the 'karabela' (hilt form with of course varying blades).
The origins of this style hilt (regarded as a highly stylized 'eaglehead') remain debated, as seen in discussions here over many years, but some of the most useful and well researched material I have found in them has come from Ariel, Teodor (TVV) and Jeff D. In using the search feature here I was able to find much valuable material using term 'karabela'.

To offer an overview, there are contentions that the style existed long before the suggestions that Shah Abbas' reconquest of Karbala (Iraq/Mesopotamia) in 1623, thus dispelling the notion that his seeing them there inspired the hilt form allegedly encountered there. That the form existed in Ottoman sphere is supported by an example marked with the tughra of Sultan Ahmed I (r 1603-17).

Apparently the karabela hilt became popular in Poland after the Siege of Vienna(1683) after which it became regarded as the 'national sword of Poland', and typically seen as a 'parade sabre'. These however are of course known incidentally as having been used in battle.

The example seen here is of course in traditional style, as noted in the form known as early as early 16th c. but popularized in latter 17th c.
These karabela hilted sabres were well known in Poland in the 18th c. and the chevron inscribed grips and Ottoman style crossguard are characteristic.

This one has a blade which approximates that of a kilij and quite possibly of Styrian production, as many East European sabre blades of this period are.
In "Origins of the Polish Sabre" (1979, Ostrowski & Bochnak) it is noted that Hungarian blade production, if there was any such thing, was extremely limited. Many Polish blades may have come from Lvov.

I would consider this may be late 18th century, but carried out in traditional form. As always, very hard to determine from photos. One must always beware that modern copies or assemblies do exist and carefully evaluate. I have seen 'karabelas' with modern mountings using old blades.

The images below are Ottoman karabelas, the one with dark background was apparently from the siege of Vienna 1683.

The artwork is by Albrecht Durer (1471-1528) where a karabela hilt can be clearly seen .
The next is a Russian reference with a karabela.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote