View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:41 AM   #44
A. G. Maisey

I didn't think I did allude to any other books ,Mickey. I really do not know of any books that will lay it all out, for me it has been many, many years of picking up little bits here and there, and a lot of personal face to face contact.

The three books I mention do not draw upon other published works, they are all first hand experience. Fred Eisemann lived in Bali for a number of years, not as a "White Raja", but in a village and playing his part in the life of that village. Ni Wayan Murni is a very knowledgeable lady who lives in Ubud and has an intimate inside understanding of Balinese life & lore. Prof Wiener is an anthropologist who wrote "Realms" as a product of her research.

If you spend some time with these three books you will have provided yourself with a very firm foundation for further investigation & learning.

EDIT
Mickey, one of the reasons that I avoided answering your specific questions is because the questions were difficult to answer in the absence of a reasonably complete understanding on the part of the questioner, of the structure of the Balinese world view. Maybe you have this understanding, maybe not.

However, I've had time to think this through and I'll try to give you some sort of answer, it might not be exactly what you want, but it is possibly better than nothing.

The Balinese belief system is mostly known as "Bali-Hindu", it is a synthesis of Balinese indigenous beliefs and the Hindu faith. The governing principle in this Balinese belief system is the maintenance of balance:- negative influences must always be held in balance with positive influences. You cannot totally eradicate a negative influence as it is associated with positive influence, but you can protect against the negative influence by encouraging positive influence.

There is one central God, but that God has many aspects, for an ordinary person who is untutored in religious and esoteric knowledge it was deemed necessary a long time ago to personify the aspects of the One God, once a person has reached a sufficient level of knowledge that personification is no longer necessary. The one God is everywhere at any one time, and the various aspects of the One God can also be present anywhere or everywhere at the one time, these aspects can take the form of positive influences and also negative influences.

So, in the world as it is seen by a Balinese person, there are places, or maybe "pockets" is a better word, of both positive and negative influences scattered all over the place. The negative influences are personified by naming them as "Buta" (actually Bhuta is probably a better spelling) or "Kala".

The nature of the Bhuta-Kala negative influence is one of antagonism, annoyance, disturbance, bother, effort:- you misplaced your car keys, you had a motor accident, your boss has spoken harshly to you, you lost $10.

Bhutas & Kalas cause trouble & annoyance, not life threats.

I cannot remember ever hearing of a female Bhuta or Kala, they all seem to male, they are pretty stupid and grossly greedy, they cannot go around corners, offerings to them need not be prepared with care.

The Bhuta-Kala totogan (statue) is simply a personification of the negative influence that permits the ordinary person to focus his mind upon that negative influence and make the correct offerings and use the correct mantras to protect against it.

The really dangerous negative force is the Leyak. A Leyak is the spirit of a human being, it separates from the physical body of the human and assumes another form. Leyaks are really bad news, they mostly seem to cause problems for family members or people known to them, but the really bad ones can cause problems for anybody. A Leyak can be either male or female. The Leyak can cause death and intense suffering. It is possible to kill a Leyak if one has been taught the skills, and if that Leyak is killed, then its physical body will also die.

The discussion of negative forces is something that is best left alone. What I have outlined above is just a very simplified over-view, and I think that perhaps that is more than enough.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 3rd March 2020 at 10:10 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote