View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2015, 01:12 PM   #48
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Since no one here can seem to find any references to back up what they are saying I will provide a few more.

I was sent this quote supposedly from "The Arms and Armour of Arabia in the 18Th-19th and 20th Centuries", Robert Elgood, 1994. Since I do not have the book I can not verify it this is correct, if anyone does have it maybe they can check and see if it is.

The Army of the Indian Moghuls: Its Organization and Administration, William Irvine, 1903.
Do I need to reference using my own language? Saif is a word much older than the 18th, 19th and 20th century and Elgood here is referring to saifs with Persian blades. And saifs could have curved, straight, shallow curved blades from Europe to India, it will still be called a saif.

Also, he mentioned the term 'sabre' which is the key term here, rather than curved which can be confusing. The arab swords with a shallow curve are still considered sabres.

As for the word 'Tegh' being Arabic, I believe thats completely wrong. Its a Persian word.

It has nothing to do with a hilt type, I am afraid. It has to do with the object as a whole.

Yes, the tulwar hilted sword will be called a saif, by an Arab using the Arabic language. So is the many other types of swords.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote