Thread: Dutch Cutlass
View Single Post
Old 20th December 2010, 08:39 PM   #20
Henk

Gentlemen, below i copied the original answer from the Legermuseum in Delft from my mail. Unfortunately the banner of the Legermuseum didn't come with the message.
I will try to translate the answer in english and i hope it will be understandable for everybody here.

U stelde de volgende vraag: klewang no 2 politie versus klewang-marechaussee
Antwoord:
Beste Henk,
Hartelijk dank voor je vraag.
In de vaste presentatie worden vier Sabels Marechaussee Model 1913 en een Klewang No.2 Politie Model 1913 getoond. Getoetst aan de door Puype en De Sturler opgestelde eigenschappen zouden drie van de vier Sabels Marechaussee daaraan niet geheel voldoen: het KM-stempel ontbreekt namelijk. Maar omdat de klingen verchroomd zijn en hun snede onscherp is, worden ze toch tot het type gerekend. Het stempel kan immers bij de productie vergeten aangebracht te zijn. De poltiesabel voldoet wel aan de gestelde criteria.
De onderverdeling van klewangs is, zoals i.h.a. bij zo veel andere blanke wapens, lastig gezien de voorkomende varianten en/of afwijkingen. De catalogisering van klewang is een ordening naar 'idelale' typen en biedt de helpende hand bij het nader kunnnen duiden van een klewang. Met 100% zekerheid is dat niet altijd te zeggen. Met andere woorden: voor een bepaald type klewang komen ook exemplaren in aanmerking die strikt genomen, niet geheel aan de desbetreffende eigenschappen voldoen en soms zelfs zowel tot het ene als het andere type gerekend kunnen worden.
Met vriendelijke groet,
Jos Hilkhuijsen
conservator

You asked the next question: Klewang no 2 police against klewang-marechaussee
Answer:
Dear Henk,
Thank you very much for your question.
In the permanent presentation four Sabre Marechaussee Model 1913 and one Klewang No.2 Politie Model 1913 are shown. Standing the test to the by Puype en De Sturler drawn properties three of the four Sabre Marechaussee wouldn't completely content: that is because the KM-mark is not present. But because the blades are chrome-plated en the edge unsharp, they still are reckoned to the type. The mark could be forgotten to apply at the production. The policesabre does content to the drawn properties completely.
The subdividing of klewangs is, like in common to so many other cold steel weapons, rather difficult because of the occurring alternatives and or differences. The catalogue of klewang is an arrangement to 'ideal' types and gives a helping hand by pointing down a klewang. With 100% certainty we cann't always tell. In other words: for a defined type klewang also examples could be considered that taken strictly, don't completely content to the relevant properties and sometimes even could be reckoned to as well to the one as to the other type.
Kind regards,
Jos Hilkhuijsen
curator.

Gentlemen, to recapitulate we can say if a klewang Model 1913 is chrome-plated and the edge is not sharp it is a klewang-marechaussee despite the missing KM-mark that should be present according to Puype and De Sturler. And sometimes it is impossible to catagorize a klewang because it could be this or that type.

Last edited by Henk; 20th December 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote