View Single Post
Old 15th August 2020, 10:53 AM   #17
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I can surely see the similarities in workmanship between Rareis' example and Sajen's with the orange cord above. I also accept the mid-20th century dating stated by several observers above. As with Sajen's antique example shown above, not all ethnographic examples will have mounts completely of silver. One in Lew's collection had clearly seen use within the culture, but was mounted in brass and nickel silver. (I have regretted not having bought it from his Estate for myself.)
Yes Lee, I agree with you in all parts and like you I think that the example from Lew is a very nice old/antique example. I've added two pictures from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Rareis, you may wish to try polishing your mounts with silver creme. If a rich silvery luster quickly develops with black staining on your cloth, that suggests silver. Less luster, more work or traces of green on the cloth would favor nickel silver.
I also agree that you see by polishing if you have silver or an other white metal alloy but you need a little bit experience, some white metal alloys develop a similar black staining on the polish cloth. And it can become difficult when you have a low silver alloy. Complete sure you only can get by testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Of course, with later examples made after widespread tourism to an area you can never be entirely sure of the intended 'destination' of a piece, but I do believe this one is good enough to keep in your collection - at least until you find a better one that strikes your fancy.
Agree again, keep it until a better one cross your way, and you will also have an example to compare!

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote