View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2007, 09:28 AM   #23
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
This would suggest to me that the term may not be derisively used, at least in Hindu parlance.
It is unclear exactly how the term ch'hura, or choora as more commonly described, may be applied in northern regions, especially the Khyber regions where these are typically associated with the Mahsud (Stone, p.180).
Jim

Wednesday, February 22, 2006, The Tribune, Chandigarh, India

"Ropar, February 21"

I"n violation of human rights the word “choora” (lower caste) was inscribed on the back of a 20-year-old Dalit undertrial, Narinder Singh, with hot metal and he was paraded naked allegedly by officials of the Nabha jail. The matter came to light today when Narinder, a resident of Balakalna village, near Morinda town, was produced before the Additional District and Sessions Judge, Mr S.K Goel, by his counsel this afternoon. "

Full stoy...

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/200...punjab1.htm#12

Nabna is of course in the Punjab, North west India which historicaly includid parts of what today is called Pakistan, { Which is on the Afghan border, after all.}

While I know newspapers are unrealiable in many of articles they print, one assumes they understsand thier own language & its uses.
Perhaps it also helps to remember off course the confusion words like Dear or deer in English can have. with thier various meanings.{But identicle prounounciations.

Perhaps this can also occur in the varios Afghan & Indian languages?

Spiral.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote