View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2023, 06:01 PM   #11
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisani View Post
The problem is regarding the dates He marries her in 1480, yet the coins change the coat of arms from 1480 to something else. I base this on the coins you posted. So, this is puzzling.
The Russian article that I pulled the images of Stephen's coins is here... maybe they say something about the change? I didn't translate the text.

Quote:
A few thoughts on the Basarab dinasty coat of arms (of which the Draculesti and Danesti where branches)...
Paper in english here:
https://www.academia.edu/30095489/Ba..._and_genealogy
I was reading this too while writing my earlier posts. Surprised to see that the colours of Vlad Dracula's arms are not really known? Many sites claim the Draculesti arms were blue/red/gold, but I don't see what this is based on and the Basarab green/gold bars seem most logical.

Quote:
I wonder if Poland-Lithuania might also be a source for that shield coat of arms.
The gold double-cross on a blue field belonged to the Polish Jagiellons, and Stephen was a Polish vassal - I don't know if there was a marital link as well. According to the Russian article, the double-cross first appeared on coins of Stephen II (r. 1434-47). Stephen and his family seem to have acquired the French lilies (later modified to a single double-headed lily) from the Angevin kings of Hungary, who divided their arms with the red/white bars of Árpád.
Attached Images

Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote