View Single Post
Old 16th March 2023, 05:28 PM   #16
Merenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Looks like Merenti has it right; Saxon provenance. Rather than the dagger having no signature being an issue, if the master smith had in mind to build an inseparable duo, their aspect would be completely equal, not only similar. Down below an example of this type of dagger seen selling out there. Apparently is only plausible for a collector acquiring a sword and a left hand dagger of same typology and format, even in different occasions, and mary the couple. These are hardly Spanish, who used more often the 'sail' type. Most possibly this couple went from Germany to California with no detour by the Spaniards.
Yet everything is possible in this small world. I have a swept hilt rapier made by a famous Toledo Master which, been picked somewhere in the (Southern) States by a guy who brought back to the Peninsula (Portugal for he case), had it in exibition in the handle bars of his motorcicle, in a traditional bike meeting. If i didn't know its history i would swear that it just traveled a few hundred miles from my neighbor country.
And yes, these things had scabbards; however they were highly perishable ... only a few must have survived.

https://www.hermann-historica.de/de/.../lot/id/455923

Your shown dagger is a well-known production from the historicism period
Merenti is offline   Reply With Quote