View Single Post
Old 19th January 2024, 12:26 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Shaver Cool -- redux

This one is for Jim McDougall.

For those members who have been visiting these pages since the early 2000s, I have a little trip down memory lane. You may recall the infamous "Shaver Cool" thread that discussed a sword with the inscription "Shaver Cool" and "Batavia" on the blade as well as a VOC marking of the Dutch East Indies Company. This was a thread that would not die. The subject of the thread bemused the best of minds here for months. Unfortunately, the thread died when the old UBB forum pages were hacked. Perhaps the "wayback machine" can resurrect some of it.

In any case, the purpose of bringing up this subject again is that I had never seen another blade marked with "Shaver Cool" or "Batavia" until a month ago when one appeared on an auction site. The sword was not in great shape, but had the same "Shaver Cool" and "Batavia" marks, as well as an inscribed picture of a schooner and a VOC inscription that was clearly bogus. The basket hilt and garuda pommel were similar to the earlier example also. However, if I recall correctly, the overall quality of this recent sword is not as good as the earlier example.

See also here.

Attached are the auction pictures. This sword appeared in an auction lot of three or four swords. Maybe someone here now has it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 19th January 2024 at 01:06 PM.