View Single Post
Old 9th November 2022, 02:43 PM   #1
Drabant1701

Default What is the correct hilt for this blade?

This blade came to me in a lot i bought together with some other arms. In the auction picture it was very dirty and had surface rust, so I did not think much of it. When I got it home I saw that it was hollow ground, so I thought it was a european saber blade.

When I cleaned it up I saw some signs of watering in the blade, so I polished and etched. It was wootz so clearly not a European blade there are no markings on it and the tang has no holes in it, so I figured its a 19th century indian blade. 19th century because the wootz is nice and flowing but not super tight looks like qajar wootz imo. It kinda hard to get good pictures on a blade that is not "flat" so the pictures are not that great.
Also while not clearly visable in the pictures the blade has a heat hardened edge that starts 10 cm before the tang and goes to the tip.

So I figured I use a good indian hilt I have that has no blade for it, but when I checked for comp ability I realized that the tang is too long for the hilt. So I compared it to 8 other of my other indian and ottoman swords, it s too long to fit any of the hilts. The tang is 122 mm long the blade with tang is 95 cm long and the weight of the blade is a little over 500g.
There are signs that the blade was once mounted since there is rust at the top of the blade closest to the tang put the lowest part of the tang seemt to have no rust. I would like to mount it in my Indian hilt but I do not want to cut the tang. Also I would like the blade to be mounted in a hilt that is as close to correct as possible. Soooo... long post for a short question. What is the correct hilt for a blade like this in your opinion?

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images

Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote