View Single Post
Old 5th July 2013, 08:59 AM   #24
kai

Quote:
As promised I attach the pictures of my recently acquired Banjarmasin kris
Oh my, a lot of folks must have been sleeping - I for one certainly did!

Congrats, Jean, that's an outstanding nominee for the bargain of the year...

Maybe we can put this piece in a seperate thread? David, can you lend a helping hand with some mod magic?

Quote:
The blade has a rough surface and it does not seem to be Javanese nor Buginese
The maintenance of the blade looks kinda (generic) Bugis style to me.

I can't read the blade well enough (and it probably never was intended to conform to kraton quality standards of central Jawa); I wouldn't exclude an East Java/Madura origin though.

Jean, could you please also post a pic of the other side of the blade (in standard upright posture)?

Quote:
a specific feature is the presence of small dots of pamor (tambal) regularly spaced along the blade. This is also found on another kris from Banjarmasin shown to me by another collector, does it mean that this style of blade is indigenous to Banjarmasin?
Considering the huge amount of firearms as well as blades (multiple types!) of local Banjar/Negara production, there must have been some keris bladesmithing as well. I have not found any references on immigrated prominent empu or pande keris. Obviously, there were a lot of local talents (Dayak) available as well as a very strong Chinese community. For early grafting of specialized knowledge on keris blades, the Javanese North coast, Madura and East Jawa would be the most likely contenders. Later on, there was enough Bugis and Malay/Sumatran influence to also suspect exchange of skills or craftsmen.

I also have seen keris Banjar with similar pamor; will try to look for pics. Can you ask your friend to post his as well, please? For the time being, I'd agree that this pamor seems to have been en vogue. I don't think this feature is unique enough to claim this must be of local production though.

Quote:
The hilt in Sumatra style is made from gilt brass and in excellent condition, the selut and virtually all the intens are still present.
While apparently based on Sumatran/Malay hilts, this evolved into a distinct Banjar style. I'd call it Banjar Garuda style if you want to differentiate it from the Banjar planar hilt (Jawa origin) and Banjar pangulu (Bugis origin).

Quote:
The gayaman sheath is typical of Banjar, the gandar in 2 pieces is fully covered with very fine cotton thread which was replaced on the top part and a bit damaged at the tip but I will leave it in this condition.
Yes, agreed.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote