View Single Post
Old 13th June 2013, 08:44 PM   #17
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Detlef,
Frankly I have no clear idea about the blade as well and was expecting Alan to comment on it. It has some very specific features such as the shape (short and wide), the thick and protruding kembang kacang, the peculiar lambe ganjah and grooves on the front of the ganja (a bit similar to Balinese blades). It seems to have some age from the worn greneng and gap between the blade and ganja. Because the hilt has some balinese influence, I would guess East Java Hindu area (Banyuwangi) but it is just an unsupported impression.
Anyway I find this mysterious kris very interesting! The engravings on the warangka are unusual also, the horn buntut looks Sumatrese but it could be a more recent repair.
Regards
Hello Jean,

thank you for your thoughts about this keris. My friend who offered this keris has had similar thoughts about this keris but we both are very unsure about the origin. All parts, scabbard, blade and as well the hilt are very unusual IMHO. The engravings at the warangka and the horn buntut are the reasons which let me think that it could be Banjarmasin.
I also have the hope that Alan will share his thoughts about the blade.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote