Thread: Scottish Dirk
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have to say I very much agree with Battara's assessment on this very interesting example of Scottish dirk. The knotwork intended to represent the thistle is unusual in its composition and shape, and lacks the brass or metal studs usually seen in this feature, which only adds to the unique nature of this piece
The blade seems more in line with the period suggested, and I would say this would extend even into mid 19th c.

What is most curious, and intriguing, is that odd fixture atop the pommel where normally there would be a capstan or a stone (usually cairngorm).
This four pronged feature is termed a 'high square turreted nut' or of that form. The only example of one of these I have found was in James Wallace (The Scottish Sword and Dirk" , 1970, #59), and this was on a rather anomalous example dated c. 1713 with a cut down sword blade.

This unusual feature inclines me to think of the very traditional nature of this piece which does not correspond to the usual styles followed. The character of the simple brass mounts, the scabbard with its fork (not all had small knives also) to me suggest the 'romantic' period of Scottish heritage. This was fueled by the works of Scott and Burns as well as the contrivances of the so called 'Sobieski Stuart brothers which led to a furor of fashion, style and of course weaponry in the mid 1800s .

On line there is good information in the MyArmoury site ' The Scottish Dirk',
and by one of the foremost authorities, the title
"The Scottish Dirk" by James Forman.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote