View Single Post
Old 16th February 2024, 12:39 AM   #17
Peter Hudson

Default Design movement across the Indian Ocean.

I wanted to bump this thread so it can be easily refered to on looking at design features and with detail on sword style movement across the Indian Ocean and beyond...

And as a gentle bump to bring this thread into focuss with details being looked at in other related work including Nimcha, Moplah, Karabela, Kasthane, as well as Moroccan, North African and Ottoman variants etc...

It should be noted that "The Pirate Coast" by Sir Charles Belgrave (1966) on page 189 reminds us that it was the Pirate situation in and around The Indian Ocean which was vitally important to controlling the waves in the region 150 years before he published his book The Pirate Coast in the mid 1960s... thus it is reasonable to assume that Piracy was an important influence on sword design style across the region. ADDED To that it is likely that Slavery was a root cause in turbo charging sword design and movement to and from the great entre ports such as Zanzibar thus the reign of Oman over that part of the globe through Saaid The Great is instrumental in our understanding in that regard...

One specific style that hardly seemed to exist prior to his rule is what we know as the Nimcha...however this is not what the local people called it. In Oman for example this was and is still known as Habashi or Hibashi... and is well illustrated by Butin (but incorrectly named) in his charts of swords in this thread. Butin does however draw very accurately the broader end section of about 12 inches to the tip which closely resembles the Moplah form from the Malibar Coast.. The chart showing this broader Yelman is at thread top right and left of his chart at xxx1
As a conundrum the similarity with the Moroccan Nimcha is quite uncanny... and in the case of the link to swords of the Great Bands of London and from a book I read by the late Anthony North and carried on the waist of Thomas Blose ...A Captain of that era... (this seems to be related to the Moroccan form) further amazing is the likeness in hilt form and quillons to an Ottoman style however what the link is between African and Arabian forms is a little foggy to say the least except to say somewhat blandly that the styles are essentially related across frontiers loosely by trade, exploration and war to which I would add religion and slavery...

My aim in this post is to commence the launch of a series of thoughts by taking the Zanzibari Nimcha design feature one by one to see where influence from whatever source can be identified...

Thus I will open with the Scabbard... which is identified as Omani Style with distinctive leather sworls in a circular design seen on Omani Sayf and Kittara scabbards... identical and not seen on other nations scabbards.

Post 16 above and other pictures dotted around on this thread show many similarities in Nimcha design both types given a sort of grouping by Butin into African and Arabian types with charts again shown at thread and interestingly showing the broader Yelaman on Chart xxx11.Top right and Left. It is suggested and in support of Jims research that this is Moplah influence from across the Indian Ocean on the Malibar Coast..

Who gave the name Nimcha to this weapon? Butin seems to have taken the view that these were all Nimcha types but we know that none of the local peoples called them Nimcha...a term perhaps coined after the short coat ...or waist coat of the Baluchi mercenaries working for Saaiid The Great in the Indian Ocean. Omanis call the type Habashi. Nimcha seems to be a collectors name.

The main hilt shape appears to be very similar to the Turkish Palash style including the general format of the grip pommel and cross guard knuckle guard and turned down quillons but with a much less broad blade which in the Turkish type is a massive cleaver like blade. See thread for examples.

Hilt design also includes a more lavish expertise known to have been iused by artesans in Zanzibar in the art of Ivory adornment usually seen on hand held mirrors and illustrated on the hilt seen here at post. The style is also shown on thread of a mirror from Zanzibar in that style. I wouild expect this to adorn a VIP or rulers sword or an important trader or sea captain. See also how this hilt has spread to places in the Indian Ocean by viewing a similar hilt from the New Caledonia Islands...
at Thread. Post 64.....
From gravure tirée de l'Illustration, 1891,
le sultan Said Athmann, chef des rebelles d'Anjoun,
interné en Nouvelle-Calédonie.

Atop the Zanzibar pommel is a turtle which is the same type as lives around the tropical Island of Zanzibar...thus is a signature design feature of the location...and suggests something related to Oceans and or Sailing?and related to Zanzibar.

A Royal Insignia...!!!! Next is a quite remarkable signature feature representing the signature of HM Saaiid The Great himself ...See picture below for exact example and details of the entire hilt... On thread is the signature of the ruler and further there is an Omani sword hilt with this kriss cross format which is what I suggest also a basic signature
using silver stiching ofdten seen on Omani Sayf and Kittara swords hilts...and repeated on Khanjar belts....... and view the sword makers effort in reproducing a follow the dots style of design. This is accurate insofar as down to the minute blemishes seemingly tiny floral decoration possibly inspired by the herbs growing on Zanzibar...between the letters which are of course in Arabic... read from right to left and done geometrically on each quillon ...The quillon of the edged cutting blade under the knuckle guard is the correct one to read and at thread is an almost exact perfect example of the Rulers signature at least in part..

For the reasons above I place this post proving the Zanzibari Oman nature of this weapon and underpin its Zanzibari origin because of the design style including the Turtle format above the Pommel,the lavish Ivory Zanzibar adornment on some Nimcha and the Omani Origin of the leather scabbard...on I suggest a formal, regimental sword probably Omani Zanzibari Naval by definition and a weapon made up primarily through influence across the Indian Ocean...and Oman and carrying the Rulers signature on the Quillons..My initial thoughts on these words were that they spelled BAHR...which means SEA...but having looked at the rulers signature I would switch to that construct..

Peter Hudson.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Hudson; 16th February 2024 at 07:57 PM. Reason: artwork adding
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote