View Single Post
Old 11th September 2012, 11:18 AM   #23
satsujinken

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey

But you cannot do this with keris.To understand the keris you need to be able to think in a Javanese way and understand things as Javanese people understand things. Keris study is not about memory and categorisation according to set parameters. Keris study is about the culture from which the keris comes, and the language of that culture is not even a standardised language in linguistic terms. With keris, we need to take in everything and try to understand it within its own context.

EK tells us that pamor tangkis has the power to avoid illness caused by an epidemic, there is no mention of black magic.
newbie from the land of the krisses would like to acknowledge your deep understanding of javanese tradition

anyhow, as far as I know, pamor tangkis means that one side is keleng (without pamor) and other have some kind of pamor

tangkis could also mean : block / parry and this in my limited knowledge and general acceptance here is tend to be associated with blocking black magic, secondly to block anything bad, including plague, illnesses, etc

according to friend of mine (he could be wrong, though), all krisses with pamor in one side of the blade called TANGKIS, means the other side is kelengan

all krisses with 2 pamors, say it on one side of the blade or different side of the blade called dwi warno / dwi warna
satsujinken is offline   Reply With Quote