View Single Post
Old 1st September 2007, 09:43 AM   #68
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Which one of these two schools - Solo & Yogja, follow the tradition of old schools of say, Mataram era? I believe that I read it somewhere that Sultan Agung's time was actually the keris golden era.

And another stupid question, according to tangguhan, original dapor pasopati was created during which era?
Dear Penangsang,

Both "schools" follow most of the old tradition, and only different in certain aspects (sometimes totally different). In certain sense, Solo school is more modern. If you are interested in keris making, then you must be "solo-scholar"... Solonese modern keris-making (technically) is much better than Yogya. There are more solonese keris makers than yogyanese nowadays. "Yogya school' has more appreciation on old style of keris (originality is more important), and also spiritual experience...

In warangka (sheath) and appearance, solonese kerises are more glamour if not luxurious. (Warangka studded with diamonds and gems, and gold pendhok etc)...

For collectors, it is interesting to collect both "nom-noman" (new) style of their kerises. You may compare, the nom-noman Paku Buwanan vs Hamengku Buwanan. Very interesting, really worth to compare. (So, ideally, you must be both scholar --solonese and yogyanese).

About dhapur Pasopati, I don't have any clue who first created that dhapur. It only was told in old keris literature, that most of kerises that were made by Empu Setratoya (in Mataram period), had dhapur sabuk inten (luk 13), dhapur carita, dhapur kalamisani and dhapur pasopati. Empu Setratoya had some other names in different kingdoms. He was named too as Jaka Supa, the son of the famous Majapahit empu, Supamandrangi (Pangeran Sendang Sedayu).

Empu Setratoya or Jaka Supa, in the Demak period named as Empu Macan, in Pajang period as Empu Kodok and then Empu Toendoeng. And in Mataram era, as Empu Setratoya...

The two pusakas of Kraton Yogyakarta, named as Kanjeng Kiai Lindri and also Kanjeng Kiai Naga, bear dhapur pasopati (straight keris, with two sogokan, but with kembang kacang pogok or short sekar kacang...)

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote