View Single Post
Old 18th October 2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

I really like these old straight bladed kris and totally agree with what both Ian and Jose have said about who, when and where this one was made. Looking at the photos you have posted I do not believe that any of the engraving shown ever held inlay. On the hilt bands, the missing top band like the existing baka-baka on your sword could have been made from copper to match. However a band made from brass, silver, gold or any number of alloys of these metals could also have been used. Do you see any holes in the wood where the top band would have been that might indicate that it was wrapped around the hilt and then small nails used to hold it in place? Looking at the hilt wrapping and how far it extends down the hilt whether it is original or a replacement the way this wrapping was applied to the hilt I do not believe a lower band was used. This of course is just my personal opinion and I could easily be wrong Any way you look at it this is a very nice addition to your collection, my congratulations for your good fortune in acquiring this piece.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote