View Single Post
Old 9th January 2008, 07:39 PM   #55
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'm really glad to have the application of the term pirate resolved and most interestingly analyzed, as well as the explanation for how the term was misapplied to the Iban. It is always good to have the actual perspective on often misunderstood historical events and situations.

I am hoping we can return to looking into the weaponry of the pirates, perhaps considering the weapon forms they might have gained access to in thier capturing of vessels. For example, the "Quedah Merchant" captured by Kidd would likely have had a variety of Indian weapons that would have appealed to the seamen, and kept for the brandishing previously mentioned. It seems we have discussed Indian weapons with heavy and shorter blades that might have served on Indian vessels, possibly those might resurface here.

Most importantly, I have not yet seen any examples of the most prevalent weapon likely seen aboard pirate vessels..the cutlass. Naturally this term, as terminology seems key in this discussion, is rather loosely applied to heavy, short bladed weapons, many with large guards for the hand. The heavy 'Sinclair sabre' (another well known misnomer) of N.Europe and other heavy short sabres of the 17th century were likely candidates, but the hunting hangers of English and European gentry of mid 17th century found even more established favor.
Hopefully we might see examples of these that would represent the 'Golden Age' (1670's-1720's) as well as the later regulation naval patterns that would see use as piracy prevailed in varying degree wherever trade vessels went.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote