Thread: keris oil
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2006, 03:40 PM   #26
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
I used the essential oil of myrrh not the resin however it did make a varnish.
The almond oil I purchased did not have a noticeable scent so I don’t think it will affect the overall scent much.
I hear that some keris oils encourage fungal growth in the wooden sheath if used excessively.
Well obviously you would use the essential oil. My point was that it still comes from a resinous source, so maybe that was your problem. I don't see how either of the other two ingredients you mention could turn to varnish, so the myrrh is the likely culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
I wonder if some keris oils are made with the same care as cimande oil. Traditionally the recipe of the oil used in cimande Silat is a closely guarded secret. It is produced on one night a year and empowered by reciting sacred mantras into the oil. According to Ace Sutisna, one of the holders of the recipe “the oil in itself is not unusual, it is the mantra that brings it to life”
I would imagine they are, though i am not familar with cimande oil. The mantras may be a well guarded secret, but anyone with the desire and intuition should be capable of developing their own rituals and mantras capable of bringing their keris oil "to life". Like all things meant to have magickal intent in your life, it is best to create them yourself if you are capable, thus allowing you to create it to best suit you own needs and personality. Of course we can't always do this (if only i had the knowledge and skills to make my own keris.... ) but i would highly encourage those who have the inclination to make their own keris oils and empower them as they see fit.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote