View Single Post
Old 9th August 2019, 05:22 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While unsure if I am among the blind, I am unclear of what is being illustrated here, and admit I am entirely trying to learn in these discussions so trying to see.
It seems that 'pepperbox' revolvers had been produced in England in the 1830s evolved from of course many years of multi barrel innovations. For some reason, in my limited experience, the British examples I have seen were not marked by the makers.
I am wondering if this may have had anything to do with the propensity of the exposed percussion cap nipples causing multiple discharge and gun failure if not injury or worse to user.

Actually the American versions were indeed often called 'Allen' pepperboxes as the patent holder was Ethan Allen (1837) however his partner Charles Thurber was included in the name Allen & Thurber on the revolvers.

I am quite unclear on the 'bar hammer' term which is suggested different from other pepperbox revolvers? I had thought this notable bar type hammer was present on these overall. That is the case with the British and American examples I have seen personally and in research. Clearly the type of gun has been produced in Russia, Sweden and other countries.
I was not aware that Belgium (Liege) did not care for the ignition system on these (though with the misfire and multiple ignition cases understandable), but it seems they produced 'knock off's of virtually most guns regardless.

The Allen & Thurber pepperbox (illustrated) is the same revolver used by Joseph Smith in Carthage, Illinois in 1844 as he was attacked and assassinated. Apparently he fired with three chambers igniting and three misfires. The gun itself is in the Mormon tabernacle in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I am curious if the 'bar hammer' used on Allen& Thurber and various British pepperboxes is somehow different than on some other pepperboxes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 9th August 2019 at 05:45 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote