View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Rafngard

Default Vasayan Kris Daga for comment

Hello all,

I recently picked up this Vasayan (given the scabbard, probably Piney) kris daga, and the style has only rarely been posted on the forum so I though I'd share, mostly on this thread (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=kris). So I thought I'd share

The knife itself is about 14 inches (35.5 cm) long, the blade itself is about 10 inches (25.5 cm).

2 comments.
1) I'm surprised at how much it looks like a Luzon peice, except for a few details (iron instead of brass fittings, no end cap and peened tang, etc)
2) The riscosso is a lot thinner than the blade proper, which has almost diamond cross section.

3 questions.
1) Any thoughts on age? The horn panels on the scabbard say something like mid 19th cent - WWII, if I recall correctly.
2) Speaking of those panels, one is cracked and starting to separate from the scabbard (as seen in the blurry photo). Is there anyway to fix this? I'm tempted to superglue it...
3) The leather on the throat of the scabbard has also seen better days. I've seen "Mink oil" mentioned a few times on the forum, is this possibly something that could help?

As always anything comments/opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote